Saturday, May 29, 2010

Straw Bale Gardening

So I recently read about straw bale gardening in another blog, and thought that it looked easy enough. I haven't had much luck with gardens in the past, but this way the garden can be closer to the house so maybe I'll remember to water it. We got our bales last weeks and have been watering and fertilizing every day. Today Jesse took Aydin and I to get some plants and seeds for our garden. We got watermelon, onion, and bean seeds, as well as tomato, cherry tomato, banana pepper, and hot pepper plants. I also love to have fresh herbs every year so we picked out some cilantro, mint, basil, and chives to go in the sides of the bales. I wish we had pictures from the nursery. Aydin was so cute pushing the wagon and adding whatever she thought we needed to the pile. We all planted the garden this morning. I am so excited to watch it take off (fingers crossed.)

4 comments:

Sherry said...

I was just thinking last night...about a month and a half until I can see this straw bale, you and the girl in person! Can't wait!

Stacia said...

Looks awesome!

Danielle said...

It looks great! No bending over either, that will be nice the next few months. :)

yunus said...

sharing your good health in your hand labor.